Thoughts on effectively beginning a presentation
How should I start my presentation?
Creating media stars
This course is designed to provide sportspeople with the necessary skills to excel in media interviews. It provides sportspeople with the skills to becoming a confident, engaging and marketable interviewee that the media wish to speak with. It also covers the skills required to handle challenging media situations and avoid publicity own goals.
What will you learn?
After completing this course you will be expert in...
This course can be tailored to ensure that participants convey the specific team or club messages / values that their employer wishes them to convey in media interviews.
This course includes a filmed element, allowing participants to practice and review their media interview performance, within a supportive environment.
An introduction to the media and sport
- Goals and objectives - your goals AND the goals of your interviewer
- What makes a great interview, for you AND your interviewer?
- What makes a bad interview, for you AND your interviewer?
Crafting great interview responses
- The 5 questions that every interviewer will ask
- The 5 golden answers that achieve your goals
- 5 tricky questions, and the own goals to avoid
- 5 clever answers - the Jeremy Clarkson technique (!)
Delivering an effective interview
- An introduction to confident delivery
- Voice - using power, pace, pause and pitch on radio and TV
- Power quotes - how to make it memorable and get your key messages broadcast
- Character - how can your delivery reflect your unique character?
- Confidence - identifying, managing and using any nerves to your advantage.
Refining our performance
- Interviews will be completed and recorded throughout the day, and support our learning objectives (expect easy, unusual and tricky questions!)
- The recordings will be reviewed one-to-one with your trainer and recommendations given to help refine your performance
- Time allowing, you will have multiple opportunities to perform live and review your performance.
Discover more about your public speaking trainer
Rich Watts is a pretty average sportsperson (Hockey and Triathlon), but (luckily) is a champion public speaking consultant and trainer, a past winner of the UK Business Speaker of the Year, a JCI UK Public Speaking Champion and most importantly, loves helping others to develop into outstanding public speakers.
What is included as part of this course?
An initial scoping meeting to understand your requirements
Course content tailored specifically to your team
Workbooks and access to exclusive support content for all attendees
An online follow-up session after the training
A specialised training venue